Tuesday, January 8, 2013

drawing near


"well, like i always tell you; draw near to God and He'll draw near to you."

these were the last words my beautiful grandma spoke in my ear as she hugged me goodbye christmas night.

now, as i sit on my bed in africa while my family makes funeral arrangements back home, these are the words that keep coming to mind, bringing with them a myriad of emotions

honestly, there have been a few times over the past couple days that i've wanted to do just the opposite.  when i've had no desire to take the time to bring this before my Father, simply because i don't want to deal with it (i know.  super healthy way to deal with grief)

i don't want to be reminded that i'm still in africa while the rest of my family is grieving together.  i don't want to listen to my grandmother's funeral service online or talk on skype or blog about how her life was rich and meaningful and cherished because it all reminds me of how i'm still here... and not there.

and then i hear her voice in my head, "draw near..." and in my heart i know her words are true and full of wisdom.  i know that in spite of the pain of this sudden loss and the seemingly terrible timing He will draw near.  He will work this for good.  it's kind of His specialty.

so i'm still here.  the grief is still potent and oh so very real.  but my God is very near.

thank you, grandma b.  i love you.

10 comments:

Jami said...

Les I love you so much and it breaks my heart that we're not together now. Praying for you. Love you.

leah said...

i love this. beautiful & honest. just like you. love you my friend and have been thinking of you often.

Anonymous said...

Wow, Leslie, This brings me to tears! Love you and pray you feel His nearness at this time. Yvonne Lehman

Amber said...

Les, you have been on my heart. I know how special my own grandma was to me and how deep her loss was in my life.

I love her words to you. Isn't it amazing that even in her passing, she is still reminding you that? That even while family isn't "near" like you wish, God still is and even as you grieve her, you can draw closer to that same God she is praising and rejoicing with now.

So even as you grieve, and even as it hurts incredibly to not be together like you want this week, I'll be praying God makes Himself so very real to you and speaks comfort. Hugs.

Anonymous said...

Very nice post from an obviously thoughtful lady. Diamond Jim

Alesa said...

Hey little sis, we love you tons and will continue to pray for you.

smw said...

so sad and neat at the same time, les. will pray for you during this time. i wondered if you would be able to come back. :(
love ya!

Kasey said...

Praying for you through all of this Leslie! She was such a lovely lady!

sarah.flyingkites said...

Les,

Love so much how this post was written. Thanks for your honesty. Been praying for your family!

Love you!!!
Sarah

Curt n Cassie said...

Leslie,
So sorry for your loss. Your grandma really was a wonderful lady. How special to have those last wonderful words ringing in your ears. What a heritage of faith she left you!
Love,
Cassie