Tuesday, July 22, 2008

oi, oi and oi!

so my big sis, jami, is wanting to hear some good stories from her friends about how their children embarrass them. well, i have no children, but i have been embarrassed by many. however, my favorite embarrassing little kid story happened when i went swimming with my little cousin. (some of you may already be cringing...and with good reason) she was probably about 6 and i was around 13...now, for those of you who don't know, i had mom hips even back then...ugh! (no offense to the majority of mothers that read this blog...but you know what i mean, right?) there's something a little unnerving about maturing fully at age 12 and then not changing AT ALL for the next 12 years and counting.

anyway, back to the point of the story.

we were playing chicken off the diving board with our other cousins, and both of us were standing in line when she looked at me with this really perplexed expression...
(are you ready for this?)

cassie: leslie?
me: yeah?
cassie: is your swimming suit too small or are your legs just fat?
(SHABAM!!! i mean come on! are you serious?!)
me with a look of shock mixed with 'yeah, i know': my legs are just fat. (thwarted by a six year old)

funny thing was, it didn't really bother me. it actually made me laugh really hard...while i was nervously looking around to make sure no one heard what we were talking about.

she's almost 18 now and i wonder if she even remembers saying that...probably not. oh, but i remember! boy, do i ever!

6 comments:

Jami said...

Oh my that is so funny Leslie! I haven't heard that one in a long time!! :)

Tami said...

wow...i almost wanted to cry when i read it. maybe it's my lack of sleep, or maybe it's 'cause i relate too closely with with the 'fat legs' departmen!

sarah.flyingkites said...

Leslie,
You were right, I was starting to cringe because I vaguely remembered hearing that story - I was just fuzzy on the details. And oh, I cringed again...how terrible. I can't believe you laughed about it...what a sport! :)

Kasey said...

That is a funny story! Actually, you are a funny story-teller!!! I'm not sure I could have handled it with such grace (as sensitive as I am about my "mom hips."

Kasey said...

)

megs @ whadusay said...

Oh Leslie - that story makes me cringe and laugh at the same time (laugh because of the way you told the story)and cringe because, well, you know!