Wednesday, March 9, 2011

spaseebo. ameen.


we were about to eat dinner and they asked me to pray.  this had happened before, and every time I had responded with, "you want me to?" to which denis would reply "yes, we let women pray here." which would then result in a heavy eye roll from yours truly.

of course, we still went through the same "pre-prayer" routine but this time when i opened my mouth to pray i decided to forgo the whole english thing...

"dorogoy Nyebyesnee Otets,
spaseebo.
ameen."
boy did that get a reaction.  i only said "dear Heavenly Father, thank You.  amen." but i like to tell myself they thought i was pretty cool from that point on... then again i was wearing sneakers in the middle of a harsh ukrainian winter... but that's another story for another time.

4 comments:

Alesa said...

That is so awesome... It made me laugh out loud! Kind of reminds me of Korys rap :)

Leslie Ringger said...

aw alesa!!!! i love hearing from you!

thanks. though i kind of think the sanctity of the prayer was totally ruined :)

Marla said...

Slava Bogu! (I think)

sarah.flyingkites said...

LOVE this post!!