Friday, October 28, 2011

days 8-10: playing catch up

so i've been gone the last couple days to lusaka, where we bought a couple necessities (and a few non necessities) and picked up mr. luke (as the kiddos call him) who (happy me!) brought with him a sweet bag full of goodies from my dearest mother for yours truly.

since i haven't been able to contribute to tami's photo challenge, i'm playing catch up and posting all three challenges here.

day 8  a bad habit:  

unpacking... or the lacking to do so.  i have a tendency to not pack for about 2-4 weeks after i get home from a given place.  don't worry.  this mess was promptly moved when it was time to go to bed... to the floor.  yup it's that bad.


day 9  someone you love:  


in the bag of goodies from my mother (whom i also love!) i found this letter from her mother, my grandma b.  so sweet.  grandma b is quite the woman, let me tell you.  she had her own dress shop back in the day (and ran it quite successfully) and raised a pretty stellar family to boot.  she is a woman of supremo class and integrity.  and she's fashionable too!


i have terribly fond memories of holidays and sleepovers at her house... her cedar chest full of dress-up clothes, her basement store room full of old dress shop (turned play) items and toys, her archie comics, her house's wonderful smell, and her book reading before bedtime.  


she is an example of a strong, Godly woman and has the kind of spunk that is required in a true kindred spirit.  her last words to me before i left for africa were


"hold close to God and He will hold close to you!"


i love you grandma b and am so proud to be called your granddaughter.  



day 10  childhood memory:

something else super sweet that was found in my bag of goodies... psalty cds!!!   i used to love sitting on our living room floor listening to these on record.  yep, that's right.  record.  i would study over the back cover picture of all the lucky kids who got to sing with psalty and dreamed of someday being one of them.  sadly they don't make new psaltys anymore.  oh well, i enjoy the memories, anyway.



4 comments:

Tami said...

What a great catch-up post!!! I can completely relate in the drawn out unpacking process. I either do it immediately or takes me a good week! Ugh. Also, what a great letter from your grandma! She IS a neat lady and I think it's so neat she took the time to write you a letter!! And finally, Psalty vinals...been there, done that. :)

sarah.flyingkites said...

Great post!

Psalty is in our van CD player right now - love those! :)

Anonymous said...

Glad you posted! I've been wonering what you've been up to!

Holly

Jill said...

Awww, love this! I remember my grandma b. shopping at your grandma b.'s shop :-) Old CP - good memories!