Tuesday, February 10, 2009

painting for the children

yesterday i spent a good portion of my day at the all women's gym my dear sis used to be an instructor at. no...i was not exercising. for those of you who don't know, this gym was suddenly closed last fall (very sadly) and recently two of the old instructors decided to buy it and re-open it, new and improved (very happily)! if you want the full scoop go here and here.
anyway, i was asked to add some whimsy to the childcare room by painting something on the walls... anything. i agonized over what to paint and finally after surfing anthropologie's website for the bazillionth time i found some inspiration in the form of a pillow. i simplified it down a few notches and then headed on my merry way to the gym yesterday afternoon.

as usual, what i estimated to be a 3.5 hour project turned into a 6.5 hour project...funny thing, no matter how long i think something will take it always takes double! i think i should start guessing lower.
after i took a dinner break i headed back to the gym with snack, diet pepsi, my laptop, and 'road to avonlea' in tow. (what i good is painting if you don't have a miniseries to go with it!)
well, about a half hour later sweet miss eren (one of the new owners) showed up with a key so i wouldn't have to call her at who knows what hour of the night when i left and a snack in case i got hungry. what a dear! thankfully she is a lot healthier than i am. lets do a little compare and contrast here...
her snack.... my snack...
thank you, eren!

after all my work was finished i was pretty excited about the final product. it actually turned out better than i thought it would! so, i decided to share a few images with anyone who's interested...

8 comments:

sarah.flyingkites said...

Great work, Leslie!!! Cute!

How fun to be able to do ANYTHING you wanted.

Thanks for sharing!

Marla said...

Nicely done, Leslie. Very whimsy, indeed!

Love your mom.

Alesa said...

Very fun, Leslie!

Tami said...

it looks great, diesle!!!! you do such a good job. :) hey, your snack is my style!

Jami said...

It's even cooler in real life - hard to imagine - I know! Leslie you are amazing!!!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Leslie,
You never cease to amaze me with your painting abilities...I guess I should know that if you're good enough to teach me to paint a flower (albeit a small single yellow tulip)you've gotta be better then most! Great job. If you ever need a trip to anthropologie for inspiration, let me know I'd love to meet you there!
Bekah

Taylor said...

I love this kind of stuff!!!! So, when can you come up!?!!

Daish said...

Leslie, that looks great. i love it. You are so good, and inspiring to me.